Nothing says festive like making Christmas cookies!
The recipe below is based on one from the NY Times, but with less sugar, more jam, and different instructions, such as baking time.
CHRISTMAS THUMBPRINT COOKIES
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cup jam or jelly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) and wet (eggs, oil, vanilla) ingredients in separate bowls.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients. Use your hands to mush everything together into one ball of dough. (Warning: This dough is very sticky.)
- Break off pieces of dough that are slightly larger than a cherry. Roll each piece into a ball, place on cookie sheet, and make a deep indentation with your thumb or a utensil like a small measuring spoon. Sprinkle with green sugar, and fill indentation with jam or jelly. Leave a little space between the cookies on the cookie sheet; these cookies don’t expand very much, however, so no need for excessive space.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. For crunchy cookies, bake for about 20 minutes.
Yield: about 35 cookies
Ready to go into the oven:
And out of the oven!
The first batch had a bit too much green sugar…
My favorite part of making cookies: